Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Atlantic City Free Public Library
Supporting Your Child Through the School Years
When children learn how to read with fluency and understanding, they can approach their school experience with an inspired sense of wonder and discovery.
All the world's knowledge and fancy is a gift that you can make available to them!
Your role as parent or caregiver remains very important to the attainment of this gift as your child continues through the elementary and middle school years.
Parents, Caregivers and School Success
Children are more likely to succeed academically when their families actively support them. When family members get involved with the school community, communicate regularly with teachers, participate in school functions and help kids with homework, they give children a tremendous advantage.
Here are a few tips on how you can support your student's learning...
- Have a peaceful place in your home away from the distractions of media
- Set a regular time for doing homework and check for completion and quality
- Provide necessary supplies and resources
- Monitor homework assignments and be familiar with project due dates, quizzes and tests
- Encourage good study habits by helping your child to be organized and neat
Most of all, show your interest in what your child is doing in school, and stimulate curiosity by talking with your child on a wide range of topics.
How The Library Can Help with Achievement in School
- Print and digital editions of classic and modern titles, for school assignments or recreational reading
- Access to digital resources for homework help, research, skill-building, test preparation and more
- Personal Librarian Service to help kids navigate through the many resources available here at the library
Check out our Kids' Page and Homework Help Page for more about Homework Help at the Library.
Places To Go With Your Child in the Atlantic City Area
Stimulate your child's curiosity and interest in the world around us! Check out the following links to some of the area's most wonderful attractions and plan your visit.
Resources for Parents and Caregivers
Library Website | Library Catalog | Contact the Library | Call the Library: 609.345.2269